GPF In Borland Resource Workshop with New Machine

PatrickWeisser

Re: GPF In Borland Resource Workshop with New Machine

Post by PatrickWeisser »

There is a "Contact Sales" page I found on the Borland site, and I filled out the form asking if they have any plans to offer a 32-bit version of Resource Workshop. I will also follow-up with a phone call tomorrow after the holiday. Maybe if they hear from two or three people asking for the same thing they will think there could be a healthy demand for an upgrade. The URL for the form is:

http://myinfo.borland.com/forms/corp_co ... 0000008Yzz

There is also a phone number to call above the form, "Call 1-800-632-2864 (North America)"
StefanHaupt

Post by StefanHaupt »

Antonio,
Antonio Linares wrote: It seems that PellesC and Microsoft VSX (very good but so heavy!), work with RES files where you have the option to save the resources as RC files, but not to load RC files.
PellesC can work with RC files, I am using it for many years and I never had a problem.

The only reason, why PellesC does not open a RC file created with BRW, is that there is something in the file PellesC does not understand, maybe an undefined constant or a Borland control. But normally there are no problems.
kind regards
Stefan
Antonio Linares
Site Admin

Post by Antonio Linares »

Stefan,

> PellesC can work with RC files, I am using it for many years and I never had a problem.

many thanks for the info :-)
regards, saludos

Antonio Linares
www.fivetechsoft.com
Rick Lipkin

Post by Rick Lipkin »

FYI .. I have called Borland and they referred me to CodeGear .. the CodeGear people have no clue what Borland Resouce Editor is .. however I did sent the COdeGear sales person the link to the Borland site and asked if he could find out the availablity of BRW, who has it, could we get the code released to 'open source' ..

Awaiting an e-mail responce back..

Rick Lipkin
Antonio Linares
Site Admin

Rick,

Thanks so much :-)
regards, saludos

Antonio Linares
www.fivetechsoft.com
PatrickWeisser

Post by PatrickWeisser »

Antonio / Rick,

I also called Borland yesterday and also got the answer that they transferred their development tools some years ago to a company called Embarcadero Technologies. Their website (odly enough) is http://www.CodeGear.com, 800 523-7070. Looks like all the Dephi stuff is there now along with Turbo C++ and C++ Builder. I spoke with a Sam Patterson there. He wasn't familiar with BRW, but he said he would check with one of the engineers there (David Powell) to see if any of their products are capable of supporting RC files. His understanding is that dialogs in all there products are supported in their respective IDE's, with all "event-driven triggers." No traditional Windows message-oriented processing. I've not heard back from him yet.

I guess the trend these days is IDE's with their own dialog support. I think that's the approach they are taking for xHarbour, and it's one of the main reasons I gave up on it in favor of Harbour with FiveWin. In my company's particular case, we are parterning with another company who sells our product internationally and who has localized it to about five different languagues strictly using the resource file. The beauty of that is we can give them the latest exe and include files, and they can bind their latest resource changes without ever having our source code. I've never used an IDE, how do most allow for this? I mean having a separate company work to customize your dialogs, and bind them to your exe for testing and distribution WITHOUT having access to your entire project and source code?

The people at CodeGear have trial versions of Turbo C++ and C++ builder on the CodeGear website, so when I have some time I might download them and see if I can find a worth-while stand-alone resource editor tucked away somewhere.

Rick -- The source code for BRW might sill be under Borland's control so it's great you're pursuing that further.

-Patrick
Antonio Linares
Site Admin

Patrick,

Thanks! :-)
regards, saludos

Antonio Linares
www.fivetechsoft.com
Enrico Maria Giordano

Post by Enrico Maria Giordano »

PatrickWeisser wrote:I guess the trend these days is IDE's with their own dialog support. I think that's the approach they are taking for xHarbour, and it's one of the main reasons I gave up on it in favor of Harbour with FiveWin.
You are confusing xHarbour and Visual xHarbour. xHarbour is a command line tool, just like Harbour (and both are free). Visual xHarbour is a product of the company called xHarbour.com.

EMG
PatrickWeisser

Post by PatrickWeisser »

Thanks Enrico, I've always been a little confused about all that. I'm very happy with the Harbour/FiveWin combination. Bust just so I understand, xHarbour.org is a free spinoff project derived from the original Harbour, and xHarbour.com is an actual for profit company which is selling a commercial version of xHarbour, including a GUI they call Visual xHarbour? So are there three versions of Harbour that work with FiveWin -- the original, xHarbour.org's, and xHarbour.com's? What's the basic difference between the three? I know this is off-topic, so feel free to email me directly if it's not too big a question to answer - Patrick@IntrepidSystems.com. Thanks.
Enrico Maria Giordano

Well, there is not so much differences between Harbour and xHarbour (but don't say it to the developers... :-) ). xHarbour.com distribution uses the official xHarbour.org.

EMG
Antonio Linares
Site Admin

Patrick,

> So are there three versions of Harbour that work with FiveWin -- the original, xHarbour.org's, and xHarbour.com's?

yes :-)
regards, saludos

Antonio Linares
www.fivetechsoft.com
James Bott

Post by James Bott »

A Google search for Borland Resource Workshop turned up this:

http://www.woodmann.com/fravia/ultrae2.htm
I believe that a short digression about this tool is very well worth it:
The Whitewater Resource Toolkit, that came with Borland C++ 4, was a
phantastic tool for windows (16 bit) 3.1 disassembling already, as all real
crackers know. Alas, the development died! In 1994 appeared the last known
version of it, ported to 32 bit and in the mean time called "Borland Resources
Workshop" (Version 4,5 for Borland C++ 4,5, the one you should fetch).

It's a sad world
Unfortunately this tool was TOO powerful and too good, so they of course
simply killed it. Whitewater was on this purpose, bought by Symantec (Peter Norton)
and the product was no more commercialized. Version 4,5 (GET IT!) is the last one
I could find on the net, probably Borland had in 1994 still some rights on its
code and was able to publish it, alas for the last time.
A search for Whitewater Resource Toolkit turned up this:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m ... i_10581162

This confirms that Whitewater was the original developer.

A search for "whitewater symantec" turns up this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitewater_Group

Which confirms that Whitewater was purchased by Symantec.

So, it seems that Symantec may be holding the title to the source code for Resource Workshop. However, I do note that Borland is still selling it.

http://info.borland.com/borlandcpp/cppc ... wkfct.html

Regards,
James
Enrico Maria Giordano

Please note that Borland C++ 5.02 (32 bit) has an integrated resource editor that seems as good as BRW.

EMG
Antonio Linares
Site Admin

James,

I was a user of "Actor" developed by The WhiteWater Group, that included one of the first resources editors ever published. You can download it from here:
http://www.movsd.com/download/nre.exe (it was developed using "Actor").

"Actor" was bought by Symantec, mainly to get its resources editor, that was included and distributed with the Symantec C++ edition, that was discontinued some years later.

If you check the Symantec Resources editor and the Borland Resources Workshop, you will see that they are not the same resources editor :-)
regards, saludos

Antonio Linares
www.fivetechsoft.com
PatrickWeisser

Thanks

Post by PatrickWeisser »

Dear Antonio,

I've been doing some reading. I had no idea you are the father of Harbour. I've always had great admiration for you as the creator of FiveWin, but now I am truly amazed. I'm embarrassed I didn't know my Harbour history until now. Thanks for making it all possible :)

-Patrick