Printing Problems in Vista

Greg Gammon

Printing Problems in Vista

Post by Greg Gammon »

Sorry if this has been addressed...scanned the directory but couldn't find anything.

Am running FWH and Harbour compiler. Programs are running fine on Win95, Win98, Win2000/NT, XP. Just installed a Vista machine and program works fine except printing. Preview will not work, and when going direct to printer, the program appears to print in an endless loop...1000's of pages.

Any fix for this or ideas?

Thanks!
TimStone

Printing

Post by TimStone »

Sorry,

I have Vista, with FWH 7.07 and July xHarbour, and I have no printing problems whatsoever ...

Tim
Tim Stone
http://www.MasterLinkSoftware.com
timstone@masterlinksoftware.com
Using: FWH 19.06 with Harbour 3.2.0 / Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2019
Antonio Linares
Site Admin

Post by Antonio Linares »

Greg,

Have you copied prev32.dll to your application folder ?
regards, saludos

Antonio Linares
www.fivetechsoft.com
Greg Gammon

Post by Greg Gammon »

Antonio,
Yes, Prev32.dll is there. Im beginning to think this might be caused by some data corruption problem. I have one print form that works correctly (previews and prints), but another that does an endless loop. But then my reports will preview and NOT print. Its maddening right now. Any other ideas are appreciated.
Greg
James Bott

Post by James Bott »

Greg,

I seem to remember a missing END PRINT statement causing something like this. You might want to check it.

James
IVAN TRACHTA

Post by IVAN TRACHTA »

I have problems too with Vista printing.
In my case, the preview show the pages with parts in blank (some lines are missed) but the same page printed is OK. (When I change the page another lines are missed)
But the big problem is when the report is long (for example 8 pages I didn`t test for less) the first (2,3 or 4) pages are printed OK and the print finishes. I've tested printing by steps (pages 1-2,3-4, etc.) and i get better results but i couldn`t finish the report ever.
Next print jobs stay in the printer spool and stay there and are no printed at all. Is mostly required to reboot to un-block the printing.
The printer is HP LJ1020 and i have downloaded the Vista driver from HP site. The result is the same. (I`ve changed USB cable and the printer too!!)
I think it`s a Vista problem or maybe is the version. I made my tests in Vista Home.
Sorry for my english.
Regards
Iván
Rick Lipkin

Post by Rick Lipkin »

Been using Vista Business RTM since it was available back in Nov 06 .. not had the first problem printing or using prev32.dll.

I have all kinds of FWH27 apps using xHarbour 99.60 to 99.7.. and the programs range from client\server with ADS, to local area applications running Novell and Win2003 servers as well as some of the new ADO programming.

Desktop clients range from Win2000 , XP-sp2 and Vista Business.

Not one problem !!

Rick Lipkin
SC Dept of Health, USA
Greg Gammon

Post by Greg Gammon »

Well, as it turns out, my problem was a hardware issue on this one particular machine. Ive got two other new machines with Vista that I installed today and have no problem with them, so problem solved. Thanks for all the input!
James Bott

Post by James Bott »

Rick,

>Not one problem !!

Thanks for that report, Rick, its comforting to know.

James
Richard Chidiak

Post by Richard Chidiak »

I also have no problems printing fwh + xharbour on vista.

Our app is running on many vista computers and no problems for printing.

Just speed in network access is the major problem i can talk about for Vista

Hth

Richard
http://www.cbati.com

Uestudio
Fwh 13.05 Harbour 3.2 MSVC 2013
Rick Lipkin

Post by Rick Lipkin »

Richard

On Vista .. be mindful of the addition of Tcp/IP v6 which has been added as an additional protocol... along with the traditional IP v4.

I have seen older HUB and switched network topologies that do not like IPv6 .. try diabling the IPv6 protocol on one of your Vista machines and see what happends.

Let me know

Rick Lipkin
SC Dept of Health, USA