Input using the UEStudio Resource Editor

Ken Wantz

Input using the UEStudio Resource Editor

Post by Ken Wantz »

Hello All,

I am looking for feedback regarding the UltraEdit Studio Resource Editor. According to the folks at UltraEdit, no one is reported problems with the Resource Editor. I am the one exception. I find it strange since I have uncovered a lot of problems and most were able to be duplicated by tech support. In the latest 6.3 release, UES does not list any updates or fixes to the Resource Editor. As a result, I am asking the following questions.

1. Are there any members currently using the UES Resource Editor?

2. If so, have you encountered any problems?

3. Do you prefer using another Resource Editor other than the one included in UES?

I am aware Borland Workshop Resource Editor was a favourite for many prior to Vista’s introduction. However, being a 16 bit application, I believe some maybe thinking about switching or have already switched.

While I do not have Borland Workshop, I have tested Pelles IDE. While it wasn’t great, I had a lot less trouble using the various building tools.

Any additional input you might wish to share would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Ken
TimStone

Editor

Post by TimStone »

I have been using the Resource Editor with Pelles C but I find it has problems also.

1) It keeps reintroducing old data into the RC file after it has been changed.

2) It can lose controls that are installed

3) It doesn't correctly apply the fonts selected so the display is not correct. ( I use a 12 font in the source code, set it as the default in Pelles, but it still displays an 8 font so all text has to be resized blindly ).

4) It can be erratic

5) It can suddenly die !

I am also looking for a viable RC tool.
Tim Stone
http://www.MasterLinkSoftware.com
timstone@masterlinksoftware.com
Using: FWH 19.06 with Harbour 3.2.0 / Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2019
Antonio Linares
Site Admin

Post by Antonio Linares »

Ken,

The UES resources editor lacks several important features like alignment, resizing, undo, etc. We thought that the new UES version was going to include them, but it looks as they are not getting many feedback about it so they are not improving it.

You can use Borland Resources Workshop in Vista, unless you use Vista 64 bits (it does not run 16 bits apps).

PellesC is a good choice too, more modern than Borland one. Anyhow, we keep using Borland Resources Workshop as we are quite used to it :-)
regards, saludos

Antonio Linares
www.fivetechsoft.com
Carlos Mora

Post by Carlos Mora »

I should recommend Resource Builder from sicomponents.com

It has a lot of features including User Control Libraries like BWCC32.dll
Allow bitmap edition with aplha channel
and lots of features.

Deserves to look the demo.

Regards,

Carlos.