http://www.cbati.com

Uestudio
Fwh 13.05 Harbour 3.2 MSVC 2013
Antonio Linares
Site Admin

Re: Windows RT

Post by Antonio Linares »

Richard,

I don't think that we will ever be able to run a FW legacy app on Windows RT (unless you use VNC, or similar) :-(

What I have been able to do so far, is to build a WinRT app that uses Harbour as a library, and used a little part of its GUI. More a proof of concept than a ready to be used product. Also, I stopped its development for some time, as I want to go further and try to deliver a Harbour based solution for all mobile devices (WinRT, iOS and Android). And I am delayed cause FWH requires a lot of my time and work :-(

If you are in a hurry and need to deliver an app for it, you should use Visual Studio and code your app from it using Microsoft tools.
regards, saludos

Antonio Linares
www.fivetechsoft.com
TimStone

Re: Windows RT

Post by TimStone »

Richard,

The issue is, what type of application do you wish to create ? If it is a tablet app, then stick with a desktop tablet version.

Windows RT, like iOS and Android, has significant limitations. If you are going to develop for it, then look at HTML5 and Java ( ie. jQuery ). This will give you the most versatility and longevity.

FWH will work fine on a tablet in desktop mode. So far, the only pure RT device is the Surface RT which is not selling well at any price. However, there are ample WIn 8 tablets in the same price range that give you full desktop capability.

So far, in my searches, I find tablet software is pretty limited, and a very competitive marketplace. Most are simply glorified feed readers of one type or another. I hear of apps numbering hundreds of thousands, but they are all variations of the same 50 or 60 apps. I've tried many apps and eventually clear off my phone or tablet to very few.

I look at the examples being created, and so far I don't see the ability to handle the complexity needed in most business apps.

Tim
Tim Stone
http://www.MasterLinkSoftware.com
timstone@masterlinksoftware.com
Using: FWH 19.06 with Harbour 3.2.0 / Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2019