Multi-user software

Jeff Barnes

Multi-user software

Post by Jeff Barnes »

Hi,

I am looking for an idea on how to create a multi-user application where I could install the software on a server and NOT have to install anything on the users computers.

It would be nice to just create a link on the users computer to the application on the server but I don't know how well that would work ... if the application size gets large I could see a long load time.

Has anyone done anything like this?

Any hints / tips ?
Thanks,
Jeff Barnes

(FWH 12.01, xHarbour 1.2.1, Bcc582)
dutch

Re: Multi-user software

Post by dutch »

Dear Jeff,

I work as your environment. I've used FWH+xHB+ADS+R&R for my application.

My idea is the application (EXE) should be on the file server, because it is easy to upgrade / lock or disable the application. I think load time is not different much for EXE file on the local drive. The different think is Database. If it is on the file server, it take more time than on local disk. The other good think is the client PC has not install anything, except some DLL file but you can use any install shield to setup the client PC. I used InnoSetup (freeware) to make setup.exe for standard environment client PC.

Regards,
Dutch
Regards,
Dutch

FWH 19.01 / xHarbour Simplex 1.2.3 / BCC73 / Pelles C / UEStudio
FWPPC 10.02 / Harbour for PPC (FTDN)
ADS V.9 / MySql / MariaDB
R&R 12 Infinity / Crystal Report XI R2
(Thailand)
nageswaragunupudi

Post by nageswaragunupudi »

On a local area network, the Exe can be on the Server and we create a short cut on the client desktop. Works well.
Regards

G. N. Rao.
Hyderabad, India
anserkk

Post by anserkk »

On a local area network, the Exe can be on the Server and we create a short cut on the client desktop. Works well.
I too confirm that it works fine here.

Regards
Anser
Jeff Barnes

Post by Jeff Barnes »

Thanks everyone ... looks like I might have been worrying for no reason :-)

Now if I could just find a way to also allow web access I would have everything I need to start the app :wink:
Thanks,
Jeff Barnes

(FWH 12.01, xHarbour 1.2.1, Bcc582)
gvalentin

Post by gvalentin »

Remote desktop
----------------
Gustavo Valentín
Softmagic SRL
Argentina
driessen

Post by driessen »

Jef,

Starting an application from the server, is usually no problem.

But, as customers often ask for client-server application, I solved it this way.

I made a small application which is installed on the local PC and to which my shortcut on my desktop refers. If there is no main application on the local PC, this small application copies the main application from the server to the local PC. If the main application is on the main PC, the small application checks if the main application has been changed (same size, same date, same time). If the main application has been changed, the small application copies the main application again to the local PC. Also other files like DLL, RES of RC can be handled the same way. If there has been no change or after the necessary files have been copied to the local PC, the small application starts the main application.

When the main application has been started, it does the same with the small application so that the small application is updated on the local PC if needed.

Working like this has some advantages :

1. Your application is client-server.
2. Updating the local PC's is happening automatically.
3. If an update has become available, only the server has to be updated.

If any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Good luck.
Regards,

Michel D.
Genk (Belgium)
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
I use : FiveWin for (x)Harbour v. 21.01 - Harbour 3.2.0 (October 2020) - xHarbour Builder (January 2020) - Bcc7
Enrico Maria Giordano

Post by Enrico Maria Giordano »

driessen wrote:1. Your application is client-server.
:?: :?: :?:

If I correctly understood what you are saying, your application is not client-server at all. Client-server means that the database is driven by an external engine and not directly by your application.

EMG
Otto

Post by Otto »

Hello,

may I ask how you handle the path to the databases do you use a mapped drive.

Thanks in advance
Otto
mod harbour - Vamos a la conquista de la Web
modharbour.org

Rick Lipkin

Post by Rick Lipkin »

To All

I come from an environment with over 5k people and over 100 servers .. to me, the executable and .dbf tables need to be on the server IN ONE PLACE and if you have multiple servers .. you need to replicate that same setup. Like Rao mentioned .. distribute your .exe and .dbf tables to the local server then create a shortcut on the desktop to the .exe. If you want to use a mapped drive or UNC to the server .. it does not matter.

Now, if you want to do client server like Enrico points out .. I would use ADS if you still use .dbf\.cdx or ADO for data that is stored on SQL or Oracle server .. the .exe is still deployed to the file server .. the shortcuts to the desktop are the same.

Rick Lipkin
gvalentin

Post by gvalentin »

Mr.Rick,

If your exe is big the OS need to do memory swap so you must think in terms of performance.

For some slow connections having the exe on the server is a nightmare. Even on a local area network.

Regards

----
GV
----------------
Gustavo Valentín
Softmagic SRL
Argentina
Enrico Maria Giordano

Post by Enrico Maria Giordano »

If your connection is not fast enough to load an EXE from the remote drive in a few seconds how do you think it can be support the normal database traffic? I strongly suggest to check your network.

EMG
fraxzi

Post by fraxzi »

Sir,

1) If your application is WAN (or using ADS as client/server), the .exe and some runtime should be on client side.
2) If your application is LAN (or using ADS as client/server or standalone this is what I do:
1. Compress the .exe using upx
2. on your client side, create a batch file (if using windows) on client desktop to copy your application .exe from server overriding .exe to client side.
3. create a shortcut to client side with the location of your .exe
Using this minor procedure, you can update the server files anytime from your development workstation without interfering with your client end-user's activity.
Users will just close/run the application to get updated copy from the server.

I do this with 40~50 client PC. Believe me it so easy and swift.

Best regards,
Frances
Kind Regards,
Frances

Fivewin for xHarbour v18.07
xHarbour v1.2.3.x
BCC 7.3 + PellesC8 ( Resource Compiler only)
ADS 10.1 / MariaDB
Crystal Reports 8.5/9.23 DE
xMate v1.15