FiveWin Visual IDE

CharlesPratt

Post by CharlesPratt »

Ditto on the checkboxes for control styles. RW won't even allow "TCS_MULTILINE" to be added to a folder style in RW so it has to be added by hand in the RC file.

Also, I've found that RC doesn't recognise some bitmap files.

Regards,
Charles Pratt
Charles Pratt
Otto

Post by Otto »

Ad Editor)
What I would like is a possibility to color parts of the code.
Example: You create a new function, then you mark the whole function with red what means you have to double check this part of your code – other parts you could mark green meaning you have checked the source or use colors for other tasks.
Sometimes I use MSWord for that.
Regards,
Otto
Anderson.OL

Post by Anderson.OL »

Otto wrote:Ad Editor)
Example: You create a new function, then you mark the whole function with red what means you have to double check this part of your code – other parts you could mark green meaning you have checked the source or use colors for other tasks.
Regards,
Otto
Try to use the xDev (Portuguese - Brazil)
http://www.sqllib.com.br/download.php?id=xDevStudio
FiveWin 9.03 + xHarbour !!
José Luis Sánchez

Post by José Luis Sánchez »

Is there an english version of xIde ?
Regards,
Antonio Martinez

Post by Antonio Martinez »

Otto wrote:Ad Editor)
Regards,
Otto
Otto,

Yo nunca he usado un Ide y no lo quiero... al principio de empezar a programar en Fivewin lo primero que hice fue crearme un conjunto de comandos propios que van colocando automaticamente los controles guardando automaticamente las debidas distancias, margenes, anchuras... Estoy seguro que una forma asi de trabajar es mas rapida que cualquier otra cosa.... es decir cree comandos como estos

#Command SET SEPARASAY TO <n> SeparaSays(<n>)
@ PWSAY <cSay> ;
[MAXWORD] ;
[SEPARARASAY];
[ADJUSTLEFT] => ........
@ PWGET <oGet>....

Con estos comandos, con una clase contenedora (como la clase TDialog) pero que contiene el dialogo y otros comandos como los de antes NO necesito Ide ni lo quiero y ademas, perdonad por la soberbia, apuesto con cualquiera a que diseño un formulario yo antes que cualquiera con su Ide. A mi parecer cuando surgieron los entornos GUI todo el mundo dio la espanta a entornos Ide sin plantearse si era lo necesario, sino que se dio por hecho que un entorno GUI precisa un Ide y a mi parecer eso no es necesariamente verdad....
Ciertamente que para el que no tiene ni idea necesita un GUI, pero señores es que nosotros somos profesionales y nos dedicamos a esto... es lo mismito que pasa con los archivos .mak... la gente los ve terribles y es la manera mas rapida de montar una aplicacion....
Asi es que mi postura es que Fw no necesita Ide... pero ya se que tener uno, aunque sea de 3ªs partes es bueno para Fw

Saludos
Otto

Post by Otto »

Hello Antonio, thank you for your post.
I hope I understood all well. I know some Italian and I used
Babel Fish.
I think I do the same thing as you but with multiEdit.
I have templates for diverse task <ALT> F9 and then I have a
dialog, … .
But the IDE is not so much a necessity for us who know FW since
years but for new users. If there is no drag & drop around then
a language it is out of fashion for the younger generation!
It is a matter of fact that we need a broad user basis. Otherwise
a language has no bright future.
If you take VB.NET’s IDE then I have to say compared to VB6 it
is very difficult for a beginner. VB6 is a discharged model a newcomer
won’t select.

So with an easy to handle IDE Fivewin could be their choice and
take the place CLIPPER had in the market.

I my opinion this must be our main goal -I mean beside making our own programs the best.
Regards,
Otto
Antonio Martinez

Post by Antonio Martinez »

Otto wrote:Hello Antonio, thank you for your post.
I hope I understood all well. I know some Italian and I used
Babel Fish.
I think I do the same thing as you but with multiEdit.
I have templates for diverse task <ALT> F9 and then I have a
dialog, … .
But the IDE is not so much a necessity for us who know FW since
years but for new users. If there is no drag & drop around then
a language it is out of fashion for the younger generation!
It is a matter of fact that we need a broad user basis. Otherwise
a language has no bright future.
If you take VB.NET’s IDE then I have to say compared to VB6 it
is very difficult for a beginner. VB6 is a discharged model a newcomer
won’t select.

So with an easy to handle IDE Fivewin could be their choice and
take the place CLIPPER had in the market.

I my opinion this must be our main goal -I mean beside making our own programs the best.
Regards,
Otto
Otto,
Iagree with you: perhaps necessary for beginners for expand fw in the world.....
Regards.
xProgrammer

Post by xProgrammer »

I have read this thread with great interest and wanted to add my thoughts to it.

I'm no great fan of IDE's myself and having been around well before the Windows days am quite happy to code my dialogs rather than drag and drop.

But drag and drop would be nice and by relatively simple extension you can allow users to modify their own screens (if your underlying program structure is robust enough).

Personally I don't need a resource editor because I do my dialogs in code. (Easier to implement user modification, live change). But if we are to work co-operatively towards such an end please structure it such that we can design a dialog visually and then go either the code or resource route.

I also note that I have taken the plunge into Linux. FiveLinux may have had a few slight issues but Antonio has offered fantastic support and it would be nice to bear Linux and the other emerging platforms in mind in any such project.

As an aside I may well be missing something but I've never really understood the reason for using resource files rather than coding screens directly other than most languages fall far short of xBase in terms of being natural and expandable. Maybe someone can enlighten me?

The most important message, I believe, is that (x)Harbour should put xBase as a language back in the mainstream but this requires windowing capabilities and FiveWin/Linux/Mac/PPC is the required ingredient. I'm sure we'll all benefit as the user base grows but that may well require some extra tools to attract the newer generations of programmers and administrators. But the future is also multi-platform capability and that's why I think we need to look at covering the various flavors of FiveX.

I am happy to look at co-operating on such projects but remember we all have our own production code to get out.