Visual FiveWin from Manuel Mercado

Antonio Linares
Site Admin

Post by Antonio Linares »

Manuel,

Many thanks for your excellent contributions, as usual :-)

Your application is with no doubt a very usefull tool and its source code surely is a great help for mastering FiveWin programming.

Regarding the designer itself, I see it uses the same model that Visual Objects used ("one way tool") which has a major problem: if the user wants to modify the form after the PRG has been modified with extra source code, this extra source code gets lost. Thats was the main complain about Visual Objects designer.

The benefit of using a resources file is, as you know, that if you decide to modify the dialogbox, you can do it, and it won't affect your existing PRG source code, asuming that a good programming style has been used in the PRG :-)

Even the "two way tools" implemented by Borland, have the problem that I describe above. They are not "clever" enough to detect what components names you have changed and where you are using them in your code, and how you are using them.

So meanwhile the computers don´t get smarter than programmers, we have to keep coding "by hand" as usual :-)

Its just my personal opinion, and we are open to listen all other opinions.
regards, saludos

Antonio Linares
www.fivetechsoft.com
mmercado

Post by mmercado »

Antonio Linares wrote:Regarding the designer itself, I see it uses the same model that Visual Objects used ("one way tool") which has a major problem: if the user wants to modify the form after the PRG has been modified with extra source code, this extra source code gets lost. Thats was the main complain about Visual Objects designer
Hi Antonio:

As i said at spanish forum, the final conceptualization of Visual Fivewin is 100% 2 way considering all of the project's components, including forms design and supplementary code.

Many thanks for your comments.

Best regards.

Manuel Mercado
Antonio Linares
Site Admin

Post by Antonio Linares »

IMO we should first agree on the formats to use:

In order to save forms to files ("serialization") and later restore them, I would propose to use XML as it will provide us the greatest freedom to extend our "serialization" model as much as needed.

i.e. Mac OSX NIB files use XML (they are named .pList files: "properties list") :-)
regards, saludos

Antonio Linares
www.fivetechsoft.com
StefanHaupt

Post by StefanHaupt »

Manuel,

vfw.exe is not working with XP64 or Vista64, is it still 16 bit ?
kind regards
Stefan
mmercado

Post by mmercado »

StefanHaupt wrote:vfw.exe is not working with XP64 or Vista64, is it still 16 bit ?
Yes Stephan, the first action when retaking the vfw projet will be the 32 bits convertion (not dificult).

Regards.

Manuel Mercado
StefanHaupt

Post by StefanHaupt »

Ok, thanks
kind regards
Stefan
Eroni

Post by Eroni »

Hello, if you interesting to convert to portuguese language, I can do that. I already did language conversion to other works, like xMate.
Eroni