What's the best practice for reindexing?

SteveLai

What's the best practice for reindexing?

Post by SteveLai »

I use a Blank Record function instead of Delete/Pack in a multi-user environment, plus a ReUse Blank Record if one exists when creating new records. There is a need to Pack/Reindex from time to time, requiring exclusive access, but every now and again some files are locked, even when all the users have logged out. Suggestions/solutions appreciated ... many thanks in advance.
John

Post by John »

It is my experience that in Novell networks sometimes the server keeps files locked, don´t know why. Rebooting the server always works in that case, but of course that´s not a decent solution! :-)
SteveLai

Releasing locked files

Post by SteveLai »

Thank you for your response John. There is another, but equally not very practical, way to release locked files, i.e. close off open sessions on the server when logged in with administrator rights ... not a good solution to give to the client though. Surely somebody somewhere must have come across this situation and devised a more practical approach?
James Bott

Post by James Bott »

On Novell there is a timeout period of around 10 minutes. Usually, the files will be unlocked automatically by the OS after that. I also found that if you log back in as the user that has them locked, then out again, the files get unlocked.

Of course, neither of these is good solution, but they are the only ones I found.

James